These are my favorite apple bran muffins for gifting to new and expecting moms! These apples are nourishing and keep great in the freezer for several weeks.
Today we just have to talk about poop. Sometimes it just has to happen, you know?
No but really, this is a real thing. My mom is really teeny and sweet and dainty and proper, but also she had 4 kids with no drugs (ugh) and when you have kids weird things happen to your body because there is A KID pressing against your innards and sometimes ish gets kind of janky in there, ya know?
So, it casually came up in a conversation over wine with my mom that my friends talk about constipation before and after pregnancy, and she was all "yeah, I know, that never happened to me. My midwife brought me bran muffins and said 'trust me, just eat these and don't ask questions' and I was just fine!"
Boom. Must find bran muffin recipe and make for every human I know who is having kids or just likes pooping on the reg ASAP. I've made these apple bran muffins several times so far, and can't keep them in the house. These are REALLY good, and don't have a ton of added sugar and not very much fat, which means you can 100% eat them for breakfast with no judgement from me. Or yourself.
Bran Muffins With Applesauce
You just need eggs, butter, baking powder, cinnamon, oat bran, milk of some kind, sugar, flour, applesauce, and apple, salt, and vanilla. PS: one time I made these with white sugar and one time with brown, and I couldn't tell a difference. ANOTHER time I used all butter instead of butter/applesauce and couldn't tell a difference. So....a few swap-outs can be made in this recipe!
The prep involves turning on the oven and grabbing some baking cups....
...and peeling and dicing the apple.
Then we build our batter! Start with the wet ingredients in the bowl of a mixer, and beat that together for a few minutes.
Then, take the bowl away from the mixer and add the dry ingredients!
When everything is in the bowl, stir once more...
....until the batter is really smooth!
Last, just fold in the apple.
Now, fill the baking cups however you like them to be filled! I use ⅓ cup measure, but an ice cream scoop or regular spoon are just fine too.
Now get baked. For 18 minutes while the muffins bake. Get it? Nevermind.
YUM. These bran muffins with applesauce are so good, slightly dense but in a great way, and pack tons of nutrition into these little muffin packages.
Make these soon, for a yummy healthy breakfast or for someone who.....needs bran? There's really no sexy way to put that.
Double Apple Bran Muffins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- ⅔ cup milk
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups oat bran
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° and place 12 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups.
- Combine brown sugar and butter in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Add egg and egg white; beat 1 minute or until well blended. Add the milk, applesauce, and vanilla extract; beat on low speed until well blended.
- Make a well in the center of the milk mixture and add the flour, oat bran, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir just until the batter is mixed, then folk in the apples.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with extra sugar, if desired. Bake at 400° for 18 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center.