We're done with the curries over here. I've made approximately ten thousand versions of curry, from all countries, mainly because I LOVE IT SO FREAKING MUCH.
And it's my blog, so there.
This version, though, is really incredible. It uses the fake-out storebought curry paste that I showed you in my very first curry recipe, and besides cutting up some onion and garlic you dump some shit into a slow cooker and move on with your life, only to return to very sexy curry.
Not working very hard for flavorful food is incredibly sexy, incidentally.
For this, you'll need chicken. I go boneless skinless, and you can start from frozen, like I do here, or thawed, but boneless skinless chicken thighs would be amazing too, or any other kind of chicken cuts that you like! Then you'll need an onion, garlic, tomato juice or sauce, canned tomatoes, curry paste, and heavy cream. Which, incidentally, is also very sexy.
Now, add the chicken to the slow cooker, and sprinkle the onion and garlic all over.
Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook it at high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. The chicken will actually be done a bit before these times, but, like with all slow cooker recipes, you can leave this in the cooker for lots longer than the cooking time. If you're in a hurry you can probably get this all done in 3 hours on High.
About 30 minutes or an hour before you'd like to eat, add the cornstarch mixture to the crock pot.
Look, I know this isn't straight from Mumbai authentic, but it tastes delicious and requires all of 20 minutes of your time, then the slow cooker does the work and dinner is done. Perfect for a weeknight or even a busy weekend where comfort food is on the agenda but the time isn't there. Try this soon!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (can be frozen or thawed)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 15 ounces canned tomatoes, crushed with your hands if whole
- ⅓ cup Indian curry paste, any brand you prefer (just the paste, not the sauce that comes from the same brands)
- ½ cup tomato juice or sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- white rice or naan, if desired, for serving
- Place the chicken, onion, garlic, tomato products, and curry paste in a slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on High or 8 hours on Low. 30 minutes before serving, combine the cornstarch with the heavy cream until totally dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker, and turn to high for the final 30 minutes of cooking to thicken the sauce.
- If you'd like, use forks to shred the chicken, or leave it whole.
- Serve as desired with rice or naan.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 480
- Serving Size: 4