Super easy gluten free crispy orange chicken! Drinkable sauce, broccoli and rice for balance, the best weeknight dinner ever, done!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces (do not obsess over this)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup chicken stock (or any kind you have)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Whisk together ¼ cup of the cornstarch, the ginger, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken pieces and toss to coat.
- In a separate dish, whisk together the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch with the orange juice, chicken stock, honey, and soy sauce.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high heat with about 3 tablespoons of olive or canola oil (or whatever you like to cook with). The oil should cover the bottom of the pan.
- When the oil is very hot, add the chicken in one layer and let sizzle for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Cook the chicken in batches if you need to.
- When the chicken is crispy and browned on both sides, add the broccoli and stir together. If the pan seems dry or the chicken is sticking, add another few tablespoons of oil to the pan.
- When the broccoli is bright green, pour the orange juice mixture into the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and allow the sauce to come to a boil.
- Simmer the sauce for 5-10 minutes, uncovered, until it thickens and reduces slightly. Serve immediately over rice, with more soy sauce for sprinkling if you’d like. YUM.
I use a 12-inch deep skillet for this dish. 10-inch would work too, but you want to use something large enough to give the chicken and broccoli lots of room to sear when you start the dish.
I don’t make this often for meal prep because the chicken is so deliciously crispy when this is freshly made. However, to prep it in advance I whisk together the cornstarch dredge for the chicken, whisk together the sauce, and cut up the chicken and broccoli. I store all 4 components separately, then make the dish super fast while the rice cooks. Dinner in under 30 minutes!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 20
Keywords: gluten free crispy chicken, gluten free chinese food, crispy orange chicken