Two steakhouse side dish favorites meet, fall in love, baby makes three, and this mac and cheese is born for the most perfect vegetarian dinner or side dish!
- 1 pound short-cut pasta
- 5 ounces spinach or other greens
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4-5 grinds fresh nutmeg, ground with a spice mill
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups half and half, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in salted water to al dente. Drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid.
- Return the pasta to the pot over low heat, and add the rest of the ingredients to the noodles. Stir to combine, adding splashes of the cooking water until the spinach wilts slightly and the sauce comes together.
- Taste, and add more salt and pepper to your preference. Serve immediately or transfer to a baking dish and bake when ready to eat (see notes). Enjoy!
This can be eaten right away, or made in advance and baked like a traditional mac and cheese for about 20 minutes at 375F until hot and bubbly. If baking, add a bit more cooking water and half and half; the mixture should be slightly soupy when transferring to a baking dish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: creamed spinach, thanksgiving side dish, mac and cheese, spinach noodles, creamed spinach mac and cheese