- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 batch cornbread, dried overnight, cubed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 stick melted butter
- 8 fresh chopped sage leaves
- 8 fresh raw oysters, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In a medium cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, crisp the bacon until the fat has rendered and the bacon bits are crispy. Add the onion and celery and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring, to soften the veggies. Turn the heat off the skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine the bacon mixture, cornbread cubes, stock, melted butter, sage leaves, raw oysters, and salt. Stir gently to not break up the cornbread too much.
- Press the mixture back into the cast iron skillet (see note). Bake covered for 30 minutes, then uncovered for 30 minutes until the top of the dressing is golden brown.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
- 1. 1 "batch" cornbread = roughly something that will make an 8x8 inch pan
- 2. I suggest cooking the bacon and veggies in a cast iron skillet (8-inches or so), then baking the cornbread in the same skillet. If you don't have cast iron, just use a regular greased baking dish.
- 3. Shucked fresh oysters can be found in the seafood or deli department of most large grocery stores.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
- Serving Size: 8