I know that I'm such a broken record, but I can't believe the days are shortening and summer is over halfway over. We still have plenty of long hot days ahead, sure, and I basically feel like I have summer FOMO. Now that it's mid-July I want to be sure I do all of the fun summer things before we move into all the fun fall things.
By 10am on Monday we had our entire weekend planned with summery things. Working for the weekend doesn't begin to describe the amount of vacation-mode that is going on here even though we don't have any more vacations planned.
One thing that I especially like in the summer is large gatherings with tons of food, none of which took a long time to make. We have a big block party on Saturday night and I don't know what I'm going to make yet but it'll be something like this - large-batch, simple, flavorful, and something that everyone will love. Here are some of my favorites that fit that bill:
- Crock Pot BBQ Chicken. Of course. Couldn't be easier, and you can double or even triple the recipe.
- Tomato Curry Soup + Crispy Chick Peas. Soup in the summer, I know! But don't you always find that there's a day or two where it's rainy or someone is kind of sick or sunburned and soup sounds good even though it's a million degrees outside? I do, and this soup is perfect for it. Make the chick peas and soup in advance then leave them out for everyone to serve themselves all day.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos. The theme here is that you should use your slow cooker a lot, and also everyone loves tacos.
- Cheez-It Mac and Cheese. A long-running favorite on this site, and for good reason. It's just so freaking good.
- Shrimp with Curry Cream Sauce. Another super old recipe (which I refuse to re-shoot, sorry), this tastes nice and summery but is simple and goes with rice, bread, or shredded cabbage. Simple and easy to make in a big batch.
- Light Broccoli Cheddar Rice Casserole. Duh girl.
Now the choice is which of these is for dinner tonight?
Leave a Reply