How was your weekend? We went to the site of our wedding and drank all the booze and ate all the food and just had FUN both days which kind of never happens and our dining room is back in order and laundry is kind of handled and besides waking up at 4am this morning and being unable to go back to sleep we are just READY for the week.
And one of the reasons we are ready is because I made this hummus yesterday so that we could have it for snacks and sandwiches all week. Stay tuned for Hummus in a Sandwich later this week. It's very complex.
But this hummus is up first, and it's good. Really light and fresh thanks to the raw stuff, and creamy thanks to a food processor and olive oil. I'm imitating Panera's hummus that comes on their Mediterranean Veggie sandwich, which is DEFINITELY my favorite thing on the menu but I always order it on Tomato Basil Bread because I can't for the life of me simply order things off a menu. Gotta make adjustments, food snob problems and all.
Hummus! This makes about 1 quart of hummus, which in hindsight might have been a teensy ambitious for a two-person household. So maybe halve this recipe if you aren't making this for a party. 2 cans of chick peas, 1 clove garlic, 1 jalapeno, 1 lemon, cilantro, olive oil. Probably salt, too. Up to you.
Everything goes in the food processor! I love no-prep recipes.
Serve this any way you like, but it IS a great snack to have around, especially if half your household recently went veg-head and you're losing your mind over too much tofu and the fake meat stuff REALLY isn't that good for people, ya know? This is real food. Whole food. Sexy food.
- 30 ounces (2 cans) garbanzo beans, lightly drained
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped, seeded if you don't love spicy things
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup cilantro leaves and stems
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- salt, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Taste! Add more olive oil if you'd like a thinner, smoother hummus, or more salt and cilantro for flavor.
- Serve with anything. Eat!
- Don't worry about the stems in the cilantro - they'll blend in with the rest of the ingredients!
- If you're sensitive to heat, just add half the jalapeno with no seeds first, then taste and add the rest if the hummus isn't too spicy for you.
- Serving Size: 8