Tangy, umami sauce with seared and simmered cauliflower is the perfect rift on traditional Chicken Adobo, and this version is done in just half an hour!
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 8-10 wedges
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- hot cooked rice for serving
- Preheat a large lidded skillet to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Add the cauliflower in one layer and sear on one side for about 5 minutes until very browned. Do this in batches if necessary. When the cauliflower is browned, remove to a plate and reduce the heat on the skillet to low.
- Quickly add the sauce ingredients to the skillet and return the cauliflower to the pan, seared side UP.
- Cover the skillet and simmer for 15 minutes until the cauliflower is tender, then remove the lid and increase the heat on the sauce until it bubbles. Let the sauce bubble and reduce just for a minute or two.
- Serve on plates with freshly cooked rice, scallions, or any other green herbs you like. Drizzle the sauce over everything!
I have added shredded chicken to this recipe OR baked tofu on top and both variations are delicious for some added protein!
For gluten free, sub GF soy sauce or Tamari.
Recipe adapted from the failing NY Times.
The garlic here is pretty strong; feel free to mince it to infuse it into the entire sauce without any large bites of garlic.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Vegan
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: Filipino
Keywords: Cauliflower adobo, vegan cauliflower recipes, cauliflower recipes vegan, cauliflower recipes healthy, adobo cauliflower, vegan adobo, filipino cauliflower recipe