One of the best game day appetizers, ham and swiss sliders! Sometimes called Ham Delights, these super easy sandwiches are made on Hawaiian rolls for a sweet + savory combo that is to die for. These are delicious with deli ham, but leftover glazed holiday ham makes them even more special! I make them ahead and stick them in the oven right before serving for hot, gooey, cheesy bites.
This recipe was last updated January 2021.
...aka HAM DELIGHTS.
You know these little love nuggets, right? If you live in the south, I'm thinking yes, but I don't know where else these are a STAPLE for parties, tailgating, and sportsball watching in general. Like this week, there is some kind of game on Sunday night? That might be kind of important.
I feel that it's important to state that I do in fact know that this weekend is the Super Bowl. And here's the next recipe you should ABSOLUTELY make for it.
So these sandwiches, just in case you aren't familiar. It's regular ham and cheese layered in sweet dinner rolls, then doused with a butter + spice mixture, wrapped in foil, and baked to ooey gooey perfection. Easy doesn't begin to cover it; the hardest part of the whole recipe is melting the butter in the microwave and measuring out the spices. The sandwiches can be made well in advance and then baked at the last minute. I like to bake them in batches of 12 at a time so that they're always hot during parties or wherever I'm serving them.
The ingredients are super simple and forgiving, too - I used leftover Christmas ham (it was appropriately close to Christmas, don't worry) for this but deli ham works just fine, and any kind of cheese you like is great. Deli slices of cheese make everything simple because they're pre-portioned, but they're not necessary either.
The seasoning blend is what really takes these over the top: butter, seasoned salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dehydrated onion, and Worcestershire sauce.
Then the sandwiches are made with sweet dinner rolls, any kind you can find, ham, and sliced cheese. I make a ham every Christmas and sometimes at Easter (it's one of the most popular recipes on my site!), and the leftovers are really wonderful in these ham delights.
Start by melting the butter mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds, then stirring and repeating as needed until the mixture is melted and the spices combine with the butter. Then, separate the rolls from each other and cut them in half if they aren't already. Keep the rolls in the same configuration they were in in the package; we put them back together in the same shape in a minute.
Start to build the sandwiches by placing ½ piece of cheese (folded in half) and a slice or two of ham on each of the bun bottoms.
Top the sandwiches with the bun tops, then squish the rolls back together so the sandwiches are super close together.
AND THEN, brush the spice butter mixture over the sandwiches. On the tops, in the cracks between, wherever you can get it so it doesn't run off in the pan.
Cover the sandwiches tightly with foil, then when you are ready to serve bake these at 350F covered for 15 minutes and uncovered for 5 minutes more to crisp the tops of the buns just a teeny bit.
To make ham and swiss sliders in advance, just make the entire dish and store the covered pan in the fridge, then bake the ham delights right before serving so they're hot and gooey when you eat them.
....and boom goes the dynamite.
I can't tell you how delicious they are, in all their comfort food simplicity. The butter mixture is out of this world and the ham and swiss pairs so well with the sweet bread.
I love these for tailgating (if you have a way to keep things warm), birthday parties, and DEFINITELY for the Super Bowl or any other kind of home football watching moment. Your team winning probably depends on it.
Called Ham Delights in some circles, these teeny sandwiches are pure love and goodness, great for make-ahead, and adored by kids and adults!
- 24 small sweet dinner rolls, such as Hawaiian rolls
- 12 deli slices swiss cheese, cut in half
- 1 pound sliced ham (pro tip, this is a great place to use leftover holiday ham!)
- 1 stick (½) butter
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated onion
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Separate the dinner rolls and slice each in half through the middle. Arrange the bottoms of the rolls on a sheet pan pressed very close together (like they were in the package).
- Place one half of one slice of Swiss, folded in half, on each roll. Top with a slice or two of ham until all of the swiss and ham is used. Place the bun tops back over the rolls and press the sandwiches together once more so there is no space between them. This can be done on two small or one large baking sheet.
- In the microwave, melt the butter for about 30 seconds. Stir in the seasoned salt, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dehydrated onion, and Worcestershire.
- Brush the butter mixture with all of the spices all over the tops of the sandwiches and in between so the butter runs into the sandwiches. Use all of the butter mixture. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake the sandwiches for 15 minutes covered, then remove the foil and bake for 5 minutes more.
- Serve immediately while the cheese is hot. Enjoy!
I make my own dry glazed ham for big family meals and use the leftovers in these sandwiches. It's a Honeybaked Ham copycat recipe and is SO good.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
Keywords: Ham delights, ham delights, ham and swiss sliders, ham and swiss Hawaiian rolls, ham and swiss cheese sliders