Super delicious and SIMPLE roasted sweet potatoes with beef burrito filling. These are gluten free, whole30-approved, and dairy free!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- Olive oil and salt
- Toppings: toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), avocado slices, pickled or fresh jalapenos, sour cream, cheese, salsa, lime wedges, cilantro leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon EACH salt, onion powder, and garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup water
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ teaspoon EACH salt, cumin, and chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Prick each of the potatoes a few times with a fork, then drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt. Rub the salt and olive oil into the potato skins with your fingers, then wrap each potato in a small piece of aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped potatoes on a small baking sheet. Roast the potatoes for 1 hour, then remove from the oven to cool enough to be handled.
- While the potatoes are roasting, make the beef and fajita veggies. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the beef and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spoon or spatula as you go.
- When the beef has cooked about halfway, add the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir the spices into the beef and continue cooking 5 minutes more until the beef is browned and crispy in places and the spices are fragrant.
- Pour the water into the beef mixture and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the beef simmer and continue cooking. Add a few more splashes of water if the pan becomes very dry.
- Make the fajita veggies. Preheat a second skillet to medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. When the pan is very hot, add the peppers and onions in one layer, and do not stir them.
- Allow the veggies to cook and sizzle for about 2 minutes or until very brown on one side, then toss in the pan. Add the salt, cumin, and chili powder. Let the veggies cook for one or two minutes more until browned but not mushy.
- To assemble, split the potatoes down the center and open them up to form a well in the center of the potato. Fill evenly with the ground beef and veggies, and top with anything you like. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 60
Keywords: whole30, sweet potatoes, gluten free, dairy free