Broiled green beans in a flash! These are lemony, crispy, and the perfect side dish for any meal.
- 12 ounces thin green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons salted butter (or unsalted with a little extra salt!)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 meyer lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Arrange an oven rack to about 8 inches from the top, and preheat the broiler to high.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Place the green beans in a medium bowl for mixing. In a small bowl, melt the butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir in the onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and crushed red pepper. Pour the butter/spice mixture over the green beans and toss to coat.
- Spread the buttered green beans on the baking sheet in one even layer. Place the Meyer lemon slices directly over the green beans. Broil for 8-12 minutes (this depends on your oven), checking after 7 minutes to be sure the beans blister but don't burn. My green beans took 11 minutes to char and cook through.
- When the beans are soft and dark at the edges and the lemon slices have started to caramelize, remove from the oven. Scatter the basil leaves over top and serve while hot.
For vegan, sub olive oil for the butter.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: green bean recipes, how to make broiled green beans