This is not some kind of green thing with healthy grilled chicken and a little bacon and ranch.
Nope. NOPE. This is creamy, decadent, SEXY chicken salad that happens to taste like homemade ranch dressing with bacon pieces mixed in.
This was actually Jay's idea - sometimes he does this thing where he says words and then I make them into food. It works great, and this is a serious winner. The ranch dressing is super similar to the spread I made for the monster sub I shared a few months ago, and would be delicious just as a dip for veggies. Homemade ranch is great! The packet is delicious too, though, so don't feel bad if you're a packet ranch person. I feel you. This salad is great over greens, or with crackers, or on a sandwich, or just straight out of the bowl with a spoon. It's GOOD.
You need chicken breast, bacon, mayo, sour cream, white vinegar (the secret to homemade ranch), parsley, dill, a scallion, onion powder, and garlic powder. Simple stuff! I'm showing the chicken seared in a skillet, but you could grill it or cook it any way you like. This is a GREAT use up for leftover chicken!
First, let's get the bacon started. Basically, we're going to cook the bacon, then the chicken in the same skillet because BACON GREASE, and make the dressing during that time. So, stick the bacon in a skillet, turn it to medium-high, and let it get cooking!
Now, while all this is happening you can be working on the dressing. First, slice the scallion and chop the herbs. This was a massive scallion, so I only used half of it, but 1 regular one would be fine.
I serve this with pita crackers for snacking, but you can do a ton of stuff with this salad, like I said. I mixed it with some lettuce and topped it with some chopped avocado for lunch one day, and MAN OH MAN. It was super delicious.Print
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the bacon to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the bacon until crispy, for about 7 minutes, then move to paper towels to drain and cool.
- In the same skillet, add the chicken and sprinkle with pepper - no salt needed since the bacon drippings are so salty. Cook the chicken for about 4 minutes on each side until brown and cooked through, then remove to a plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Combine all remaining ingredients in a bowl and stir: taste, and season additionally if you'd like.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, dice it and chop the bacon. Combine with the dressing, and serve with crackers, on sandwiches, or over salads.
- Cook the chicken any way you like! This is a great useup for leftover chicken, too.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Serving Size: 4