Making pizza in a cast iron skillet takes just ten minutes and produces crispy, crunchy, pillowy pizza every time.
- 1 medium onion, caramelized (see note)
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 2 slices cooked and crumbled bacon (see note)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces grated extra sharp white cheddar
- 4 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella
- black pepper and salt
- fresh basil leaves, crushed red pepper, and grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Preheat a 12-inch cast iron skillet to medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil and the broiler to high. Place your oven rack at the center of the oven, about 8 inches from the broiler. Prepare all of the ingredients for assembling the pizza.
- When the skillet is hot but not smoking, carefully place the dough, stretched to roughly the size of the skillet, into the skillet. Working quickly, sprinkle the dough with salt and layer on the caramelized onions, cheddar, garlic, bacon, and mozzarella slices.
- Check the bottom of the pizza; it should be cooking at this point and slightly golden. When the bottom of the crust is browned, transfer the entire skillet to the oven under the broiler.
- Broil the pizza for 2-3 minutes (maybe a bit longer depending on your oven) until the crust is brown on top and the cheese is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes in the skillet, then use a spatula to transfer to a cutting board. Top the pizza as desired, slice, and serve!
I love using bacon leftover from breakfast for this. However, if you're making bacon just for this recipe, keep in mind that it'll cook some more under the broiler, so don't make it too crunchy.
To caramelize an onion: Thinly slice one or two onions and place them in a skillet over low heat with a drizzle of oil and a sprinkle of salt. Cook SLOWLY, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until the color is very dark and the onions are soft and sweet but not browned like a stir fry. This takes one hour or more, sometimes 2-3 hours depending on your onion and skillet. I like to do this while I'm cleaning the kitchen or meal prepping other things.
Use any pizza dough that you like! My favorite premade is from a local pizzeria that sells it frozen or Publix.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
- Cuisine: Pizza
Keywords: cast iron skillet, cast iron pizza, italian, pizza, bacon