Nope, not like the kind at Panera with random crunchy things on top and weird thick sweet dressing drizzled over dry chicken.
Not like that. Like southern chicken salad but with Asian flavors including but not limited to Sriracha and soy and sesame, and YOU WILL LOVE THIS. Regular chicken salad is all well and good, but THIS is the summer appetizer that will get you invited back to fun places.
I made this last week for Jay's lunch and then took leftovers to the beach to share, and that ish was GONE. I didn't get a single bite, which is a testament to how great it is. It's easy, too!
You need cooked chicken, onion, sesame seeds, and celery for the salad. For the dressing, grab honey, rice vinegar, mayo, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha or any other hot sauce that you like! This was leftover cooked chicken, but you could seriously cook this any method you like and it'd be delicious with the dressing.
First, let's make the dressing! Combine the mayo with all the ingredients...
...then whisk it together until it's super smooth. Taste the dressing, and add more spice with sriracha or salt with soy if you'd like.
Let the dressing sit. While that's happening, slice the green onion...
...and finely chop the celery.
Now, we build our salad! Toss the chicken, veggies, and sesame seeds right on top of the dressing.
Stir everything together, and taste!
That's it, friends. This is a GREAT salad, but even better if you can let it sit in the dressing for a few hours.
I served this at the beach with crackers, but for lunch I did a bed of lettuce and cabbage with some rice crackers, which Jay was alllll about for an office lunch. The mayo keeps the chicken from drying out, so it's a great take-along lunch or appetizer.
Make this soon! I promise you won't regret it, and people you make it for will love you forever.
Asian Chicken Salad
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha or other chili sauce, plus more to taste
- 2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- Combine all but the last 4 ingredients with a whisk to form a sauce. Taste, and add more of anything you'd like to enhance the flavor.
- Add the chicken, veggies, and sesame seeds to the dressing. Toss to coat, and serve as desired.
- Cook the chicken any way you like, or even use leftovers. It'll be delicious with the dressing!
- Prep Time: 20
- Serving Size: 4
Leave a Reply