- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 hot and sweet pickled cherry peppers, sliced, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt, to taste
- 28 ounces canned whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pasta and parmesan for serving
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes until the veggies have started to soften. Add the garlic, cherry peppers, crushed red pepper, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir the veggie mixture for 2 more minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, crushing them lightly with your hand. Add the sugar and the juice from the pickled pepper jar. When the sauce bubbles, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes until the veggies are cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt, sugar, or crushed red pepper until it is very flavorful. Serve with pasta and parmesan. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4