Hands down the best fall dessert: juicy apple filling, crumbly shortbread topping, crunchy pecans and melty vanilla ice cream rivers running around the whole mess. YES, apple crisp wins.
- 5-6 large apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 butter (1 stick), melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the apples in a large bowl with the rest of the filling ingredients. Spread the filling into a medium-sized baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the topping ingredients. The mixture will be clumpy and slightly crumbly. Arrange the topping over the apples, using your fingers if needed to spread it out. Don't obsess over this; it will even out as you bake the apple crisp.
- Bake the crisp for 45-55 minutes until bubbly and browned on top. Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving with ice cream or whipped cream (or plain!). YUM.
Cinnamon is so lovely and warming in this recipe, but swap it out with pumpkin pie spice for even more fall flavor!
Make this gluten free by swapping the flour in the topping for a cup-to-cup GF flour blend.
Make this vegan by swapping the butter for vegan butter or melted coconut oil.
Crunchy Texture Things: I love this with the hemp seeds (I find them at Trader Joe's) and flaxseeds. You can leave these out if you don't feel like using them, or you can swap the same amount of any little texture/flavor ingredient you like. Chia seeds, uncooked quinoa, and flaked coconut all work really well!
I love brown sugar in the filling and white sugar for the topping, but you can use all of one kind of sugar if you prefer with very little difference.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple crisp no oats no brown sugar, easy apple crisp, apple crisp without oats, apple crisp topping without oats