I didn't set out to make this some kind of heroic 5-ingredient thing, it just happened. 1, because I'm lazy, 2, because I'm REALLY lazy and didn't want to make pie crust.
Anyway. Last year at the beach when Jay broke his leg my sister-and-brother-in-law (all the hyphens mean that they're BOTH my in-laws, right? riiiiiight) made this killer quiche for breakfast one day. I'm really seriously not a huge quiche fan, but I am REALLY a pie crust fan, so I can be talked into quiche in the right circumstance. The base recipe (cream and eggs) is from the fam, and add-ins are SERIOUSLY up to you. Cheese, broccoli, bacon, mushrooms, onion, garlic....I've done this a thousand ways and it turns out wonderfully every time.
Let's make it!
You'll need cream, eggs, gruyere cheese, asparagus, and a pie crust. Salt and pepper, duh, so I guess 7 ingredients if you count those in your measurements.
The prep is super duper simple. Trim the asparagus ends and cut the stalks into 2-inch or so pieces.
Then, grate the cheese!
Preheat the oven to 375F while you make the filling for the quiche. Mix the eggs and cream in a big bowl with lots of salt and pepper. Eggs are bland, yo.
Then, arrange the pie crust in a pie plate (I swear mine comes out so janky no matter what I do), and throw in the cheese and asparagus, or whatever else you like in your quiche.
Pour the egg mixture over the pie crust, then bake the quiche for about 50 minutes, maybe slightly more or less.
The quiche is done when it's golden on top and set in the middle - give it a shake, it shouldn't jiggle.
That's it! Let the quiche cool for just a few minutes before you slice and serve it. You could also make this the night before and serve it cold or heat it back up in the oven for just a few minutes.
Easy delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinner, done and done.
Enjoy this one!
5-Ingredient Asparagus Quiche
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 8 asparagus stalks ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 eggs
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Arrange the pie crust in the bottom of a pie pan. Scatter the cheese and asparagus in the pie crust.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs and cream until well combined. Add lots of salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust and bake for 50-60 minutes until the quiche is browned on top and no longer jiggly in the center. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. You can also make this the night before and serve cold or just reheat in the oven for a few minutes.