Delicious, easy twice baked potato casserole with just seven ingredients. Potatoes Romanoff is a classic steakhouse side dish, but I love it as a vegetarian make-ahead Thanksgiving side or even a weeknight dinner treat!
- 1 large baking potatoes, scrubbed (1.5 lbs - 2 lbs total)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- To bake the potatoes, pierce all over with a fork and wrap in aluminum foil. Bake the potatoes for 1 hour at 425F, then refrigerate still wrapped overnight. This is also a great use for leftover baked potatoes!
- To make the casserole, very gently grate the refrigerated baked potatoes, skin and all, on a box grater.
- In a shallow dish or large bowl, combine the grated potatoes, onion, salt, several grinds of pepper, cheese, and sour cream. Mix very gently – I like to use my fingers to do this. The idea is to mix the ingredients without mushing or breaking the potato pieces.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a baking dish, heaping the mixture to mound in the center of the casserole. Pour the melted butter over the Potatoes Romanoff and sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper. This can be done in advance!
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the Potatoes Romanoff uncovered for about 30 minutes until hot all the way through and lightly browned on top. YUM.
Refrigerating the baked potatoes achieves the texture needed for this recipe. Try not to skip that step! If it happens you’re still a good person and this will still be delicious, though.
To prep this dish, you can make the baked potatoes in advance OR make the whole casserole up to step 4, then bake right before eating.
If you are baking several other side dishes at the same time, this can be baked at 350, 400, really any other temperature, just until hot all the way through and lightly browned. The temp and time don’t matter as much as the hot + crispy top end result.
Keywords: potatoes romanoff, potatoes romanoff recipe, potatoes romanoff chef john, potatoes romanoff food wishes, what is potatoes romanoff, potatoes romanoff ruth chris, twice baked potato casserole, baked potato casserole, twice baked potato casserole recipe, baked potato casserole recipes, side dish at thanksgiving, thanksgiving side dish easy, side dish for thanksgiving, thanksgiving side dish make ahead, thanksgiving side dish recipes