My version of a chile relleno casserole, all in one skillet! This easy low carb Mexican dinner comes together in half an hour and is super cheesy and full of flavor. Try it asap!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 small or 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 14 ounces white melting cheese such as queso quesadilla, monterrey jack, etc
- Preheat a 10-inch ovenproof skillet to medium-high heat and preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add a drizzle of oil to the skillet, and cook the turkey until browned and crumbly, breaking it up with a spoon as you go.
- Add the bell peppers, onion, and garlic to the skillet. Stir for about 5 minutes more until the veggies are slightly soft.
- Add the flour, chili powder, salt, and cumin to the skillet. Stir to combine to coat the ingredients in the seasonings.
- Slowly pour in the stock, stirring as you go, to release any bits from the bottom of the skillet and incorporate the flour into the stock. Turn the heat off the stove.
- When the stock bubbles and thickens, sprinkle all of the cheese all over the skillet. Transfer the cast iron skillet to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the chile relleno casserole skillet is bubbly and slightly brown on top.
- Serve with stuff! Whatever you like. Rice, cilantro, salsa, jalapenos, lime wedges, chips - sky's the limit!
I cut the peppers into large chunks, but this is also really good with everything chopped up a bit smaller - that also makes for easier scooping with chips or tortillas!
Keywords: chile relleno casserole, recipe with ground turkey, low carb mexican dinner, chile relleno recipe easy