Savory chicken pot pie filling with a shortcut tater tot crust = the best, easiest chicken pot pie with tater tots ever. Add this to your weeknight menu rotation asap!
- 1 pound chicken, cooked/shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 bag frozen seasoned tater tots (mine was 19 ounces, more or less is fine)
- Preheat a large ovenproof skillet to medium heat with the butter. Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onion to the skillet with some salt and pepper. Stir for about 5 minutes to soften, then sprinkle the flour over the veggie mixture. Stir to coat the veggies in the flour.
- Slowly stream in the stock, stirring as you go, to incorporate with the floured veggies. Let the mixture come to a boil to thicken.
- Add the cream, peas, and chicken to the chicken pot pie sauce. Taste, and add more salt and pepper to your preference. It should taste really good at this point!
- Scatter the tater tots over the chicken pot pie filling. Sprinkle with salt and pepper if desired. Bake the chicken pot pie with tater tots at 400F for 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Let the chicken pot pie with tater tots rest for about 5 minutes before scooping into bowls and eating. You will likely have no leftovers.
Chicken: I used 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. We're looking for about 3 cups of shredded meat. A half rotisserie chicken would be great, or any kind of cooked chicken you like/have!
Gluten Free: Skip the flour. Instead, when you add the stock, whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch into the cold stock and stream in.
Veggies: Cut them however you like! I aim to have them about the same size as the peas so everything cooks evenly.
Prep: You can make the sauce in advance, keep it in the fridge in the skillet, then dump on the tots and bake right before serving. Leftovers are delicious too, if you have any!
Keywords: chicken pot pie, chicken pot pie with tater tots