Perfectly fallish, this sausage sauce is packed with superfoods and huge flavors. Serve with zoodles for a delicious low carb and gluten free option!
- 1 pound hot sausage, bulk or casings removed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 15 ounces canned stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 4 cups baby kale
- zoodles, cooked to your preference
- parmesan cheese, for serving
- NOTE: For the zoodles, I portion about 1/2 large zucchini per person, spiralized. I saute them for 1-2 minutes in olive oil over medium-high heat with a sprinkle of salt, onion powder, and garlic powder, then I drain them in a small colander right before serving. Feel free to eat them raw or any other way you like with this sauce!
- Sausage Sauce: Preheat a large skillet with a lid to medium-high heat with a drizzle of olive oil. Add the sausage and cook for 5-7 minutes, breaking it up with a spoon as you go. When the sausage is browned and crumbly, add the sweet potato, onion, and garlic to the skillet. Stir the veggies into the sausage for five minutes.
- Add the walnuts, tomatoes, allspice, and stock to the skillet with a sprinkle of salt. Stir the sauce together and taste; add more salt to your preference and break up the tomatoes a bit with a spoon.
- Cover the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the sauce for 5-10 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft, then remove the lid and simmer for a few minutes more to thicken the sauce. Stir in the kale and taste once more for seasoning; add salt to your preference.
- Continue to simmer the sauce until you are ready to serve, adding water a few tablespoons at a time if the sauce reduces too much. Serve over zoodles topped with parmesan.
Keywords: low carb, gluten free, sausage ragout with sweet potatoes