Easy, cheesy asparagus casserole comes together in just a few steps and is the perfect make-ahead side dish.
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 15 Ritz crackers or similar, crushed
- Place the asparagus, mayo, and cheese together in a large bowl.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the onion with a drizzle of oil. Saute the onion for about 5 minutes until soft and slightly browned. Sprinkle the garlic and flour all over the onion mixture. Stir to create a roux and let the flour cook for a minute or two.
- Very slowly pour the milk into the skillet, stirring as you go to incorporate the milk into the flour mixture. Let the milk sauce come to a bubble. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- When the milk sauce is slightly thick, pour it into the bowl with the asparagus and other ingredients. Stir to mix everything together, and pour the mixture into a baking dish, 9x13 or similar. Sprinkle the crushed crackers over the casserole.
- Bake the asparagus casserole at 375F for 40-50 minutes or until the asparagus is just tender and the cheese is bubbly. Broil the top for one minute if you'd like to brown the crackers.
- Serve. Eat. Enjoy!
Make this in advance up to the baking step, it will keep in the fridge for 3 days or so. Then bake right before eating.