I love cabbage, but when it's made tangy and briny with vinegar and apples it's just THE BEST. For rizzle. This side dish is super easy, and if there WAS a downside, it'd be that cabbage is totes stinky. Sorry, it just is what it is. We have to embrace it and move on with our lives.
Let's make cabbage! This does braise for 30 minutes or so, but you could make this the day before and just heat it up - it stays beautifully in the fridge for several days. You just need red cabbage, an apple, half an onion, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and allspice. Maybe a pinch of salt, too.
Then, add the vinegar, allspice, and sugar. Toss the cabbage every once in awhile to let it start to cook and soften. If the pan seems dry, add water to the cabbage about 1/4 cup at a time to form just a tiny bit of sauce.
Cook the cabbage for 10-15 minutes more with the apple, adding more water as needed, until the apple is incorporated into the cabbage but not totally dissolved. Taste, and add some salt or more vinegar if you'd like.
- 1/2 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 apple, chopped
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the cabbage, onion, vinegar, sugar, allspice, and a sprinkle of salt. Stir to combine and let the cabbage cook for about 15 minutes until slightly wilted. If the pan seems dry, add water 1/4 cup at a time to moisten the pan.
- After 15 minutes, add the apple and cook for 10-15 minutes more until the cabbage is very soft and the apple is slightly softened. Taste, and add more salt or vinegar if you'd like.
- Serve with your favorite meal. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4