Sorry. Anti-climactic. I know.
It's HALFWAY OUR FRIDAY, though. So, there. I'm travelling to Baltimore for work tomorrow afternoon, and I intend to read my book on the plan, which is the saddest thing ever but makes me excited. Jay, on the other hand, has the day off tomorrow to go to Charleston to watch his bff Rory tape a new comedy special!
So it's DEFINITELY Jay's Friday today.
For the rest of us, though, we still gotta work, betch, tomorrow, right? It's ok, I get it. Bills bills bills, all that jazz.
But work doesn't mean we should have a grody dinner, right? That's why I'm digging up this little gem - couscous with grilled chicken and chimichurri.
You guys know I'm a big fan of layered dinners - either on the plate, or in my mind. Start with a carb, add a a protein and sauce, throw on a veg for good measure, even if it's just a quick side salad.
I'm not huge on processed foods, but I really love the flavored boxes of couscous. They go on sale for $1 sometimes and cook in 5 minutes, which is GREAT on a weeknight.
For this version I grilled and sliced some chicken, then made a quick chimichurri sauce to go on top (recipe below). Chimichurri can go on ANYTHING, but if you're not into fresh herbs and huge flavor (hehe), here are some other things you can do with super quick-cooking grains or pasta.
- Quick-cooking grits, shrimp sauteed in butter, hot sauce, steamed broccoli.
- Short-cut pasta, topped with sliced cooked chicken, topped with mozzarella or parm, pour marinara over top. Serve with a side salad.
- Sliced grilled steak, couscous sprinkled with chili powder, chimichurri AND salsa.
- Grilled tofu, brown rice, and veggies stir fried in soy sauce and garlic.
- Israeli couscous (the big pearls), stir in fresh spinach, sundried tomatoes, and feta. Top with protein of your choice, sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil.
The thing about any of these dinners is that you cook a leetle bit, but you're mainly assembling and throwing flavors together that already exist in your house. I still like the chimichurri best because it's tangy and I'm obsessed with vinegar, but you gotta do you.
Fav fast meal: go.
- 1 scallion
- 1 1/2 cups fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup other herbs such as cilantro, basil, sage, or a blend!
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more if needed to form a sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Use the stems of the herbs! They'll pulverize to for a sauce, and they taste great. Add more olive oil or water 1 tablespoon at a time to form a thin sauce.
- Taste the chimichurri and add more vinegar, crushed red pepper, salt, or sugar - make it your own!
- Serve on everything all the time.
Shared with Weekend Potluck!