In the meantime, though, I'm craving all sorts of cozy foods, which are generally NOT on the healthier spectrum of things!
Chicken and rice is so easy and delicious no matter WHAT you do, so why not reduce the fat and calories a little bit with these easy switches? Then you can have chicken and rice more often, and THAT's a great thing!
Here's the original recipe - start there and make the changes below for an even healthier version of this dish!
- For the gravy: use low-fat or no-fat cream of mushroom soup and skim milk - you'll never know the difference!
- Use all white meat chicken with no skin - save fat and calories!
- Saute a whole onion with a whole pint of quartered mushrooms - you can eat more veggies with chicken and gravy this way!
- Use cheese, but don't cover all the chicken before pouring on the gravy. You'll still get a swiss flavor but with fewer calories.
Extra Credit: The rice!
- Use brown rice or quinoa for added nutrition
- Steam cauliflower and mash it up - it has hardly any calories and you'll never miss the rice with the chicken and gravy over the cauliflower.
Enjoy cozy food while enjoying a smaller waistline - the changes are worth the effort!