You might remember from last week's post that, until last Saturday, I'd never been tailgating. I had, however, heard of the culinary lengths that people go to each week in preparation for a home game. The stories were all true!
I actually made this chicken last week when my friends Adam and Cara came over for dinner, but it would be PERFECT at a tailgate or cookout - two things that are happening a lot this weekend with the fabulous weather we've been having!
First, I made my own blackening spice using this recipe from Robert Irvine, who is a butthead on TV (and in real life, according to Jay), but is a really good cook, so I'm OK with it. I altered it a bit because I thought the recipe he used 1. needed salt and 2. would be too spicy. Here's how I made mine:
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper - more if you like things really spicy!
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoned salt (regular salt if you're not into MSG)